Circuit Bending(?) and Controller Repair Being Livestreamed!

Some internet funnypeople I really like, LoadingReadyRun, are currently streaming on Twitch (doing creative), one of them is about to take apart a keyboard of some sort (and possibly do some circuitbending, it was mentioned, but it’ll depend on how far he gets). He also just took apart and repaired a few controllers, if anyone wants to catch the VOD or replay later.

This is part of a stream series they have called “Tinker, Tailor, Solder, Fry”, they do it bi-weekly on Monday nights (at about 6pm PST).

(If you like Magic: The Gathering, I think you’ll enjoy a fair amount of their content as well.)

Edit: so the keyboard turned out to be mostly analog? But there were some really cool ideas for what to do with it. Also the knife sharpening got a little… weird.

Final Project: Completed!!

Alright, so we finished the game!

(I assure you, me winning those games was a total fluke, Jackie thoroughly kicked my butt 9/10 times)

Overall, this was a pretty difficult project. Based on our shared experiences coding little games in Processing, the final project wasn’t too difficult to complete. It was the journey getting there that was difficult. The most difficult thing was trying to come up with something that felt like it was enough. Did it seem… final project-ey?

If we had significantly more time and access to a computer with Bluetooth (that didn’t get incredibly grumpy when being moved, like my laptop does), I would have loved to try to get a Wiimote working with a computer and used that as a controller for something. Our main issue with the Wiimote was that even if we did get it working, we had no idea what we would do with it, and the ideas we were coming up with weren’t within the parameters of the assignment. And we were still running into a wall in getting the Wiimote and Bluetooth to work properly, with only a week left until the due date, so we had to come up with a different plan. We were thinking of using my idea for the anti-anxiety teddy bear, but ran into some issues, one being there was little passion for the project at that point, and the idea also seemed too… practical doesn’t seem like the proper word for what I’m thinking, but I can’t think of a better word right now.

I am really proud of the work we did and the project we came up with though. The serendipitous discovery of being able to use your forehead as a controller with the pulse sensor, and the subsequent bucket of laughs we had late at night in the computer lab while we waggled our eyebrows at each other trying to test the game was worth it. Even if the final project may have seemed underwhelming to some, the process of making it, the sheer absurdity of the controls, and the amount of fun we got out of playing the game made it feel like an apt way to end the semester. And the simple graphics are NOT “placeholders”. Jackie and I both really favor a simple, minimalist design. Admittedly, the character sprites began as placeholders, but we fell in love with them and decided that they fit well with the aesthetic we were working with. We actively decided not to replace the sprites upon completion.

Final Project: We Are Done?

So, we have our code all done and working now (I forgot to take a picture or video again, sorry).

All we have to do is the write-up including all of the diagrams and such now!

And clean up the code. We desperately need to clean and comment it. It’s… a mess.


Final Project: Nothing But Wall

Progress is not happening. Connecting the Wiimote to my computer (via bluetooth) leaves me with a Wiimote that does absolutely nothing!

And as I found on the very unhelpful internet is that I should be able to use it as a controller, which also does nothing! (Undertale is the simplest control scheme game I have).

And finally, the serial monitor is printing garbage when trying to figure out the bluetooth and I don’t know why. All I know is I’m mad and tired now.

I am officially calling it a night before I do something awful to something I like (as in possibly punch my computer).